I designed a handlebar bag in the old randoneer style. The idea was for this bike to be for light and fast road bike touring, but you could probably use it for whatever you want. I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
The main compartment size is 28 x16 x 22cm.
- velcro closure on main compartment, can be closed tighter or looser to change volume
- zip pouch on the inside
- two velcro side pockets
- elastic shock cord for strapping stuff to the outside
- an aluminium rod on the outsude to give structure
- carry strap attachments on sides
Below is a gallery of construction photos. If I made it again, I’d make some changes and probably will have more once I take it for a ride.
I took the bag on a circa 400 mile ride across England and the Netherlands and my stuff did not spill out onto the road, not even once! There are however some improvements to be made.
- The way the bag sits on the bike isn’t the best, so that the side pockets leaning wildly forward.
- With no internal stiffener, the bag sags and needs a little support rack. Ideally there would be some plastic sewn into the bag to negate the need for a support rack.
- I would’ve liked it to be slightly bigger.